Dog Bite Attacks on Children
According to statistics provided by State farm insurance, Residents of California are victims of dog bite attacks higher than any other state in the country. There are around 89.7 million dogs living as pets in the whole of USA. As per the American Veterinary Medical Association, though most of the pet dogs are trained and they never bite, over 4.5 million dog bite attacks are reported every year. Around 20 percent of the victims of dog bite attacks require medical attention.
State farm insurance says that out of the 3600 claims filed with them for dog bite attacks, California accounted for 488 of them. These 488 claims from California alone costed State farm insurance $18.7 million as payouts in 2017. This accounted for around 14 percent of all the cases of dog bite attack injuries reported in the country that year. Over the years the number of dog attacks in Murrieta has risen and it has been noticed that children are the biggest victims of these attacks.
An organization known as “For Kids’ Sake” has taken upon an initiative called the “Safety around Dogs Program”. As a part of this program, they have compiled statistics pertaining to dog bite attacks on children in the United States. Similar to the statistics of dog attacks in Murrieta, they show that children are the highest number of victims of dog bite attacks across the country.
Listed below are some of the shocking statistics:
- Almost 50% of the children aged 12 or below have been bitten by a dog once.
- Almost 80% of the fatal attacks by dog, have been on children.
- Around ¾ of the cases of dog bite injuries on children below age 10, are on the face.
- Children aged between 5 to 9 years of age have faced the highest number of dog bite attacks.
These statistics are heartening, and should be taken seriously by dog owners, whether the dog owner has children or not. Dog owners need to be extra careful and take additional steps to help in minimizing the chances of a dog bite attack.
Children need to be protected from danger, they do not possess the required wisdom to face and avoid dangerous situations. Dog owners need to understand this, as children tend to be the most vulnerable to dog bite attacks. These attacks can result in severe injuries or permanent disfiguring in children. Dog owners need to take special care to prevent dog bite attacks or stop it immediately. Failure to prevent dog bite attacks in California could end up in a lawsuit along with a major financial liability.
How to avoid and reduce the risks associated with dog bite attacks on children?
- Choose the right breed of dog carefully. A veterinarian is the best person to guide you and take the best decision about the breed of the, age, etc.
- Start making your dog socialize, the sooner the dog gets used to having people around better will it be for him to get accustomed and reduce the chances of unforeseen unfortunate incidents in the future.
- You need to ensure that your dog is supervised at all times when children are around.
- Immediately correct any potentially aggressive behavior or interaction of the dog.
- Give the dog some time and a “private” space if it needs to be calmed down.
- Train your dog and teach him to obey commands well.
- Leash your dog when in a public place.
- Secure your property, restricting your dog from reaching out to passer’s by through the fence, hole etc.
- Schedule regular checkups of the dog with a veterinarian
If a dog owner works on the above mentioned points, dog bite attacks can be controlled to a large extent. Following these steps will help in making a huge difference between avoiding a dangerous situation and suddenly facing a tragic situation. Everyone loves dogs, but we need to remember that they are animals and will need continuous guidance, training from our side, so that the peace and harmony is not disrupted in the society.
We at Khashan law firm have a dedicated team of dog bite lawyers who can help families of dog bite victims to fight for and recover damages from dog owners. Our firm strongly believe in maintaining public safety, and hope that dog owners realize the seriousness of dog bite attacks, especially in case of children. Parents whose children who have been victims of dog attacks in Murrieta, can contact us on 951.461.2387 or (833) BITE-LAW at the earliest to schedule a consultation.